They say you can tell a lot about a woman by what she carries in her bag. But what about when going to the gym? We can leave our Bobbi Brown Shimmer Bricks and Chanel palettes at home, but we’d like to think that even on work-out days, our handbags have more to say about us than a water bottle and headphones. A little practicality can go a long way, so we will endeavour to provide an all-inclusive list of gym bag essentials to leave you feeling fresh on top of fit after a session.
- If you’re not already in your gym-kit, then there’s the obvious tank top/t-shirt, sports bra, gym pants and trainers, and if you’re coming straight from work, don’t forget socks because the only thing worse than working out without socks on is working out in the tights you’ve been wearing all day underneath your gym pants!
- Ipod and headphones
- Hair ties
- Water bottle
- Makeup remover – it really is important that you remove your makeup before exercise as sweating in foundation can clog pores and lead to breakouts. The Pro Hygiene Collection® All In One Makeup Remover really does the job at removing even long wear makeup with just one sweep.
We often overdo it at the gym, so here are a few post-workout beauty rehab saviours and some of our top-picks:
- Body brush – we love the Mio Skincare Natural Dry Body Brush to get blood flowing to worn-out muscles with just 60 seconds of circular brushing.
- The Aveda Beautifying Crème Cleansing Oil is perfect to calm skin after using scalding showers which can irritate skin.
- After a heavy fitness class, try This Works’ In Transit Muscle Therapy. The rollerball diffuses tension instantly in hard-to-reach areas. Rub this in to speed up circulation and muscle repair.
- To calm both your mind and body after a hard workout, nothing works better than a relaxing body treatment oil. We love Clarins Relax Body Treatment Oil, which relieves stress and fatigue on top of soothing tired muscles after exercise.
- Shampoo and conditioner or if you’re in a hurry go for a dry shampoo – the COLAB Dry Shampoo smells great and does the job for only £3.50!
- You never know who you are going to run into after your gym departure, so always have your Tangle Teezer at the ready!
Not forgetting our “Clean is Beautiful” mission…
- Flip Flops – don’t go bare-footed in dirty gym showers if you don’t want to end up with verrucas or other nasty skin infections.
And remember your gym bag needs cleaning as much as the stuff in it! Hot and humid is the perfect breeding ground for bacteria and the last thing you want is to pack your clean clothes and accessories in a germ-ridden gym bag. So when you throw your gym kit into the wash, remember to give your gym bag the once over!